As I am now ready to submit my work to date for assessment I need to give some thought to size and finish. This is a subject that I touched on in connection with Assignment 3 for which I submitted physical prints. In that case I settled on a lustre rather than fully matte or glossy finish and was pleased with the outcome. I must now apply the same sort of thought process to the prints for the other four assignments.
Given the subject matter and approaches I adopted for Assignments 4 and 5 I am happy that a gloss finish would work well and would indeed add to the end result. A bit of shine and reflected light will help to emphasise the sense of light in both cases. I have made a couple of trial prints on my own printer on a Fujifilm paper that have come out quite well. Professionally printed ones should come out even better.
So far as size is concerned I am thinking about A4, again with a border. The prints for Assignment 4 though present something of a problem as these are based on movie images that have rather different aspect ratios to A4 – they also differ amongst themselves. Having discussed this with my printers we have settled on “gallery hanging” with each print having the same height but different widths according to the different aspect ratios. Cropping these down to a uniform A4 format would entail losing far to much information
For the final version of Assignment 2 I feel lustre will again work well and for size, 7 x 7 inches with a 1 inch border. Whilst I am still working on a possible alternative final set of photos for this particular assignment I have now accepted that I do not have the time or opportunity to complete one in time before the middle of January so for the time being the set of sculptural heads will stand.
Assignment 1 though had me in a bit of a quandary. One thought is that treating the set as a series of postcards, so fairly small and glossy, would work. This would go with the sense of the set being a sort of travel guide, something that you might carry in your pocket to help you follow the route. On the other hand there is a lot of detail and texture in each shot so something larger might do them better justice, and a lustre finish would give them a warmth and avoid reflected light knocking out some of the detail. Again to do them justice I have decided to go for A4.
As the final set for Assignment 3 that was printed some time ago when first submitted were all unmounted, for the sake of consistency of presentation all of the new prints are also unmounted.